I agree to:
1. Respect the rights of all students while seeking to develop their potential. Within the context of the activity, each person will be treated equally regardless of sex, disability, ethnic origin or religion.
2. Be a positive role model and ensure that the student’s time spent with me is a positive experience.
3. Treat each student as an individual, recognising their stage of development, maturity, and their personal goals. When coaching children, be reasonable in my demands on time, energy and enthusiasm.
4. Teach students to follow the rules of the dojo and the etiquette of the martial arts. Ensure that students develop and practice respect for the well being of others, the teachings of jujitsu or my schools related martial art, and the judgement of officials.
5. Be professional in my approach and accept responsibility for my actions. Be fair, considerate and honest with students, and not allow my qualifications to be misrepresented.
6. Continuously improve my knowledge and my ability within the martial art of my school, and to keep myself informed on current activities within the Australian Jujitsu Federation (AJF).
7. Maintain my accreditation and to apply sound coaching principles in my teaching.
8. Support the Australian Jujitsu Federation and not to act in a manner that may be prejudicial to the Australian Jujitsu Federation, its objectives, or the rules and codes of conduct governing participation in, and the coaching of my schools martial art.
9. Ensure that assessment and gradings awarded are conducted in accordance with the approved authority of the Australian Jujitsu Federation, or the ‘rules of grading’, grading authority and curriculum criteria, provided to and accepted by the Australian Jujitsu Federation towards the criteria either for membership or for accreditation.
10. Ensure that any physical contact with a student is appropriate to the situation and necessary for the student’s skill development. Wherever practical, avoid unaccompanied and unobserved one-on-one activity (when in a supervisory capacity or where a power imbalance will exist) with students under the age of 18 years.
11. Comply with the Member Protection Policy of the Federation and refrain from any form of harassment towards students this includes sexual, and racial harassment, racial vilification and harassment on the grounds of disability. I understand I should not only refrain from initiating a relationship with a student, but should also discourage any attempt by a student to initiate a sexual relationship with me, explaining the ethical basis of my refusal.
12. Provide a safe and healthy environment for training and or competition, ensuring that equipment and facilities are appropriate and meet safety requirements. Students will be matched having regard for their safety and to give a reasonable chance of success. I undertake to keep myself informed about the principles of growth and development and the implications for coaching young students.
13. Show concern and caution towards a sick or injured player. Encourage students to seek medical advice when required. Allow further participation only when appropriate and provide a modified training program where appropriate.
14. Educate my students on drugs in sport issues in line with the Anti-doping Policy of the AJF.
Code revised: June 2018